Training … Are You Up to Speed?

Training is needed in everything we do. Whether it is work, play or home we are constantly learning or being trained on something. We train our children for adulthood. We train our athletes how to run plays or moves. We are trained at our places of employment on how to do our jobs properly. Training in all aspects of life is in place to help us do things properly, help us succeed and help keep us safe.

In the workplace, how do we know just what type of training we should be getting? Obviously, it is going to change from site to site based on the type of business you work for. Regardless of the type of business, all workplaces are required by the OSH Act to provide a safe place to work. As per OSHA there are relevant types of training needed for different types of industry. These industries listed below with their appropriate regulation could be required:

If an industry doesn’t fall under a specific regulation like construction, they would follow the general industry standard. OSHA just updated their “Training Requirements in OSHA Standards” booklet. In this booklet OSHA gives a guide to all training requirements for employers, safety and health professionals, training directors and others to comply with the regulations and keep workers safe. Training from the list below may be needed at your facility. The booklet can give you the guidance and ICC can provide the training.

OSHA training manual

  • Walking Working Surfaces
  • Exit Routes
  • Emergency Action Plans
  • Fire Prevention Plans and Fire Protection
  • Electrical
  • Personal Protective Equipment
  • Hazard Communication
  • Hazardous Materials
  • Confined Spaces
  • Lockout/Tagout
  • Machine Guarding
  • Ergonomics
  • Fall Protection
  • Welding, Cutting, and Brazing
  • Bloodborne Pathogens
  • Powered Industrial Vehicles

Among the workplace safety training requirements there may be other types of training required for the industry you work in. Do you require training for transportation of Dangerous Goods/Hazardous Materials? Do you ship by air, ground or sea? What about Lithium Batteries? Do you ever ship laptop computers, phones or tools? What about radioactive or infectious materials? All of these require training under regulations. ICC Compliance Center can help with many forms of training for workplace safety, hazard communication and transportation. Please contact a training coordinator for more details on how we can help!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *